Ruth instinctively paints large expressive and often spontaneous landscapes, these reflect her passion and response to the immediate environment around her. Distinct in style, Ruth uses splashes of colour, expressive mark making and combines a wild energy into each piece.
Incorporating various techniques and materials into her work, she seeks to push and challenge the boundaries of traditional painting methodology.
Painting acts as a visual voice or expression, capturing the essence of emotion that is often lost in the fast- paced world of today.
Ruth's work is honest and a true reflection on her fascination and intrigue of the natural world, extending from landscapes through to nature, animals and beasts.
Her paintings consist of layers or colour, often re-worked into, thus revealing an otherwise 'lost' moment in time, a memory recaptured. Paint is then systematically if not rather chaotically applied in the form of splashing, dripping, flicking, scratching and drawing.
"I am constantly inspired and in awe of the world around us, all elements working together to form fragile eco-systemon which we all exist. I am fascinated by the effects of the seasons, the weather and how the landscape changes over time, from the barren expanse of the moors, to the rich, fragrant colourful wild flower meadows. I love the natural inter-play of light and shadow, and our dependency on our environment.
The painting process for me is the most important journey, its a exploration, a chance to voice what I see and feel. I feel a deep connection and love for the animal kingdom and Landscape, this is reflected throughout my working practice, often through imagination and memory. The more I paint, the more I seek, to explore and challenge my understanding of methods, materials techniques of this practice, this excites me as a look to reinvent the representational world of today."
Alongside her growing reputation within the painting scene, Ruth has become well established and known for her wire and mixed media sculptures, where wire is used to transform a drawn line into energetic three dimensional sculpture. The majority of Ruth’s wire sculptures concentrate on her love of the Hare and bird-life. Fascinated and drawn to the colour, texture and the density that wire offers, Ruth sketches, and builds life into each piece, through a series of twists and binds. Movement being fundamental to each creation, allowing a life spirit to emulate and a individuality and character to shine.
Exhibitions & Achievements
Sept 16th - 1st Oct 2017 - North Devon ART TREK open studios
Sept 9th sept - 25th Sept ' The artists garden exhibition' RHS Rosemoor
July 12th - 16th 2017 'flux' exhibition Chelsea college of Art, London
July 10th - 14th 2017 -'Summer heatwave' collaborative Exhibition - Lacy road gallery London
- 27th May - 1st July 2017 - Westward Ho! and Bideford Art Society 95th summer open exhibition at the Burton Gallery and Museum Bideford.
- 1st April - 4th June - 'Out of the Woods' spring exhibition - The Byre Gallery, Mill Brook, Cornwall (featuring wire sculptures and illustrations by Ruth in collaboration with other leading artists).
- Jan 2017 - solo exhibition at The Landmark Theatre Ilfracombe.
- Sept 2016 - NDArttrek - open studios.
- Sept 2016 - RHS Rosemoor Artist Garden Exhibition.
- June 2016 - Sculpture and Mural workshops with Swimbridge Primary School's 150th Birthday celebrations.
- June 2016 - Swimbridge School Stream side garden bug Hotel wire workshop community event.
- Dec 2015 – accredited freelance DAISI teacher and creative facilitator.
- Nov – Dec – Private commission for ‘the creative cow’ theatre company in conjunction with Northcott theatre Exeter - prop creation for ‘A Christmas Carol’ production.
- Nov 28th Swimbridge arts and crafts xmas market.
- Nov 2015 - Dec 2015 adult xmas wire workshops – taught by myself.
- Oct 2015 - Specialist painting workshop over two weekends for adults hosted and facilitated by myself.
- Oct 2015 - Boston Tea Party solo exhibition.
- Sept 2015 – Showcasing my growing Community workshops and independent/solo art work at the official Royal opening of Swimbridge village hall.
- Aug 2015 Specialist 3D wire workshop for adults facilitated and led my myself.
- Aug 2015 - ‘Singfest’ Art Exhibition, Swimbridge. Showcasing work by myself alongside three other Swimbridge Artists.
- Aug 2015 – Work accepted and displayed at BroomHill Sculpture Gardens - Devon.
- Aug 2015 - Rosemoor national trust 'the artists garden' exhibition.
- July 2015 - Privately commissioned paintings for London Hotel - Cadogan Gardens - Knightsbridge
- July 2015 – Commission for North Devon Theatre/Alantic Coast Theatre Company – ‘Adam’s Family’ production.
- July 2015 – Re - launch of my Adult Community Based Workshops.
- May 2015 - Private Commissioned large wall mural for Pilton Bluecoat Primary school.
- March 2015 - Paid and Voluntary work with ‘The Common Players’ Theatre Company working on set and props for ‘Impisi ‘ a theatre production by Special Needs Students.
- 23rd March - 25th March 2015: Wire workshop with Eight gifted and talanted students (ranging from year 3 – year 5) at Pilton Bluecoat primary school lead and facilitated by myself.
- Dec 2014 - Private Commission for Large Scale Wall Mural painting.
- November 3rd 2014 - 5th 2014 -Painting Workshop with Piton Bluecoat Infants (huge mural on canvas's created with 180 infants over two days).
- May 2014 - June 2014 - Lourghrigg art gallery South Molton - promises to self re-launch exhibition.
- March 2014 - April 2014 - The Plough Arts Centre Torrington: ‘Promise to Self exhibition’ showcasing four independent woman artists – comprising of each individuals take on woman and following and implementing their creative dreams.